2018 Young Composer Competition (YCC) Guidelines
DEADLINE: The 2017 Competition deadline is 11pm, January 5, 2018. The guidelines are below.
All applications must be submitted online. Check this web page for details and updates.
Tribeca New Music announces its 19th Annual Young Composer Competition (YCC). Its two-fold purpose is to encourage outstanding young composers in America and to provide a prominent forum for their recognition.
DIVISION 1: Ages 22-35
Composers born from Jan. 1, 1982 through Dec. 31, 1995.
DIVISION 2: Ages 21 & under
Composers born after Dec. 31, 1995
1) Award and Performance
The Grand Prize winning composer in each division will receive
• a $1,000 cash award
• a professional performance of the winning score on the Tribeca New Music 2017 Festival
• one audio/recording of the performance
These awards are presented at the sole discretion of the TNM Board of Directors.
• All composers who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents and meet the age requirements are eligible.
• Note: Former Division winners of the Young Composer Competition are not eligible for the same Division.
3) Submission Guidelines
• Works may be written for solo, duo, trio, quartet, or quintet.
• Instruments may include any of the following: flute (piccolo, alto flute), clarinet (bass clarinet), oboe (English horn), bassoon (contra bassoon), saxophone (soprano, alto, tenor, baritone), French horn, trumpet, trombone (bass trombone), tuba, percussion, guitar (acoustic, electric), accordion, harp, piano, violin, viola, cello, bass.
• Acoustic works that utilize electronic/computer accompaniment are also acceptable.
• Any combination of the above instruments is acceptable.
• All music must be no more than fifteen minutes in duration.
• Works that have been professionally published by an established reputable publisher are ineligible. Self-published works by the composer are acceptable.
• Composers are allowed a maximum of four entries for the 2016 competition.
4) Submission Items
• Legible, full score in PDF format (do not submit parts)
• An audio recording of the piece as an MP3 upload or URL web link -- A live performance or studio recording is best. (An audio recording of a computer realization is acceptable if no live performance or studio recording is available. Do not upload MIDI files.)
• Composer biography of no more than 250 words with current address, e-mail address, and phone number in PDF format
• Program notes about each piece you submit consisting of no more than 150 words
5) Application Fee and Deadline
• The application fee is $30.00 per work. Application fees are non-refundable. (maximum of 4 applications)
• Payable via PayPal or Credit Card
• All entries must be submitted online by 11PM EST, Friday, January 5, 2018.
The winning composition will be announced on www.TribecaNewMusic.org website Friday, February 23, 2018.
You may e-mail questions to: TribecaNewMusic@gmail.com
2018 Young Composer Competition (YCC) Application (Click button to apply.)